IEC Code is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT Director General of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce, and Government of India to Indian Companies. Full Form of IEC Code is Importer Exporter Code. To import or export in India, IEC Code is mandatory. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number.
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued a Policy Circular No.15 (RE-2006)/2004-2009 Date: 27th July, 2006) for New System for issuance of Importer-Exporter Code Number.
Eligibility, Legal Provisions and Conditions for IEC Code Number
Eligibility condition and Legal Provisions are given for IEC Code Number Application in Foreign Trade (Regulation) Rules, 1993 Ministry of Commerce, Notification No. GSR 791 (E), dated 30-12-1993.
Mandatory Requirements to apply for IEC Code Number
- Covering letter on your companys letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
- Two copies of the application in prescribed format (Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF 2A) must be submitted regional dgft. Office.
- Each Individual page of the applicant has to be signed by the applicant
- Part1 & Part 4 has to be filled in by all the applicants. In case of application submitted electronically.
- No hard copies of part 1 may be submitted. However in cases where application is submitted otherwise, hardcopy of part 1 has to be submitted.
- Only relevant portions of part 2 need to be filled in.
- Rs 250.00 Bank Receipt (in duplicate)/ Demand Draft /EFT details evidencing payment of application fee in terms of appendix 21B
- Certificate from the banker of the applicant firm in the format given in Appendix 18A
- Self certified copy of PAN issuing letter or (Permanent Account Number) card issued by Income Tax Authority.
- Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the banker of the applicant.
- Self address envelope with Rs25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan /DD of Rs 100/- for speed post.
- Application can be submitted in person/ by Authorized employee of the company at the R&I counters in the office or it can be send by post or courier.
- Processing of IEC Code Application
The application can be submitted at the counter in person at the office or it can be sent through post/courier. An acknowledgement in form of a receipt having file number is generated on receipt of application. The file number is used for any correspondence/query regarding the IEC application submitted to the office. The application is then sent to IEC section where it is processed. If the application is found complete in all aspects (as per requirement prescribed) an IEC is generated, or else a deficiency letter stating the nature of deficiency is prepared and sent to the applicant. Replies are awaited in cases where deficiency letter is issued and after due compliance by the applicant the IEC is allotted.